Thursday, May 5, 2011

Finis!


I just completed my last undergraduate college assignment. Technically, I still have to attend one more classroom session, but that's not really work; that's just taking up space. But the important stuff is done. No more books to read. No more papers to write. And in just over one week, I will walk across the stage at Cincinnati Christian University, shake the President's hand, and officially be an alumni.

I will also be fulfilling a promise I made to my mom about thirty years ago. I dropped out of college when I was around 22 years old, and I promised her I would go back and finish someday. There was a long period of time when that idea seemed like a fantasy. I think I probably made a lot of promises to both my parents that I never kept and have long since forgotten, but for some reason this was one that I couldn't forget.

But God had some ideas in mind I couldn't foresee, and the most important of those was for me to meet, fall in love with, and marry Vicki Gabriel. If that didn't happen first, I am utterly convinced next Saturday would mean nothing to me other than another day at work. Vicki is the most supportive partner any man could possibly have, and she is largely responsible for it being possible for me to do this. So more than anything, this is in gratitude to her. Thanks, Vicki! You are one amazing woman of God.

No comments: