Sunday, September 5, 2010

Vacation is for blogs

I love vacation for all the obvious reasons. It's great to avoid working for a week. I love getting to spend extended time with Vicki, including the time we spend driving and the time we have with no particular agenda. I just like hanging out with her. And it's nice to see new sights or revisit favorite places- something we do both of every time we come down here to Emerald Isle.

But I also like vacation because it lets me catch up on some things, like reading my friends' blogs. I have some immensely talented, creative and articulate friends and I love getting time to read their ideas. It's unfortunate that I don't keep up with them as steadily as I would like to. But I keep reminding myself that I'll graduate next May, and then I'll have all the time in the world to read and write only the things I want to read and write about.

I prefer blogs over Facebook and Twitter, although admittedly each has its place and FB and Twitter are easier to keep up with. But a blog gives the writer time to expound upon something- anything- and gives the reader a window into his or her mind. Facebook and Twitter, not so much. Blogs make me think. Sometimes they amuse me, sometimes they enlighten me, sometimes they even can make me change my mind about something. I guarantee a Facebook post will never make me change my mind about anything substantial.

All of this to say, if you're a friend of mine and you blog, keep it up! You're making people think, and there can never be too much thinking in the world. Besides, you're giving me something to do on vacation that doesn't require sunscreen.

1 comment:

workinprogress said...

no joke, I almost sent you a message last night about your lack of blogging. I think it had been 5 months.
It's like you read my mind.......
welcome back.