Sunday, January 31, 2010

Who are these people, anyway?

My class at CCU this term is called, "The Life of Christ." If there's one thing that has impressed me thus far with CCU, it has been the quality of the teachers, and this class has only reinforced my feelings. It's being taught by Tom Thatcher. He's a brilliant guy and a great teacher. And in case you're wondering, he doesn't even know this blog exists, so there's no chance I'm getting any brownie points here.

The reason I bring this up is twofold. First, if you're ever thinking about maybe going to college for biblical studies of one sort or another, I'd highly recommend CCU.

But second (and this is what the title of the post is about), I had to do some research on some of the Jewish folks that were around during Christ's lifetime. People you've probably heard of: Pharisees, Sadducees, scribes, elders, people like that. And I realized during my research that I've been reading about these people for years, but I never really knew a ton about them. Pharisees and Sadducees aren't anywhere to be found in the Old Testament, and then you get to the Gospels and they're everywhere without much explanation of who they are or where they came from. And it's easy to develop a pretty narrow understanding of them based solely on what you might read about them in the Gospels.

So, over the next few days, I hope to put up some posts giving a little background into some of these folks- where they came from, what role they played in the society of Jesus' day, why most of them tended to be in opposition to him. I found it interesting. You might have a different opinion.

No comments: