Friday, October 3, 2008

Florida Redux


This is our last day in Florida, so it’s my last chance to write from our balcony overlooking the Atlantic. It’s been a nice week even if nothing phenomenal really happened. Seeing the Kennedy Space Center was a lot of fun, but in general it’s just been very relaxing. I did get some reading done. I had started on a book by Erwin McManus called “Chasing Daylight” on our last vacation that I really like. I was able to skim back over the parts I had read and while I still haven’t finished it yet, it shouldn’t take too much time to get through the rest of it when I get back home.

It seems like every time I take a vacation I start out thinking that whatever the definition of Paradise is, it includes at least in part concepts of not working and living on (or at least very near) a beach. But more often than not by the end of a vacation I’m ready to go back to work, and this time is no exception. A few hours ago, I wasn’t ready, but now I am and I’m not even sure why.

I do know one thing for sure, and that’s that I’m blessed to get to do what I do on multiple levels. On the macro level I get to use what God has blessed me with towards the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20) every day. You can certainly do that without working for a church, but it’s perhaps more pronounced at a place like the Vineyard. On the micro level, I get to do it with a fantastic group of people, both staff and volunteers.

But the coolest thing for me is getting to do what I do with Vicki. I’m incredibly blessed to be able to spend my vacations with her AND do ministry with her. I don’t think it gets any better than being able to go through life with someone who you really share a purpose and a mission with. And I happen to like her a lot, too…what a deal!

1 comment:

John Arns said...

welcome back -- hope you had a good time.