Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Things that sting


For the first time in what seems like a really long time, Vicki and I have had a chance to do some things together in the evenings. Tonight we were working in the yard. We've had problems with carpenter bees on and off for years. I don't know if you've ever been around them or not, but they're big and scary looking and I'm dead certain they were NOT part of God's original plan for creation. They dig holes into wood to live in, and in our case that means they dig into a fascia of sorts just under the roof line of our solarium. The only way I've been able to control them (I've failed at trying to eliminate them) is to occasionally climb up on a ladder and plug their holes while they're sleeping. I don't know what happens to them after that, but they don't seem to be able to dig their way back out.

I don't think carpenter bees have stingers, but I've never gotten close enough to one to find out for sure. But while I was up dealing with the carpenter bees, I happened to notice two wasp nests just under the peak of the roof. I kind of thought they were maybe old nests that weren't active, but I decided to be careful. Good choice on my part. When I knocked the first one off, angry wasps went everywhere. Luckily they mostly flew up rather than down at me, so I had time to escape before they figured out who was responsible for disrupting their hitherto happy home.

In general I really dislike anything that can sting me or looks like it can. My friends Greg and Cindy Dean actually keep bees. On purpose. It makes no sense to me.

3 comments:

bshawise said...

" I'm dead certain they were NOT part of God's original plan for creation."

great line.

John Arns said...

Those things are VICIOUS BRUTES ! I never could understand WHY they HAVE to have stingers -- to intimidate, terrify and injure ? (Yes, yes and yes) Ok, I understand they want to protect their nest, but really, with STINGERS ?? Seems like overkill to me. I once accidentally painted a wasp nest while swiping the paintbrush under a narrow eave of the roof on my uncle's house (not a smart thing to do - hindsight's 20/20). Several albino wasps then chased me off the ladder and completely across the yard until the paint hardened and they simultaneously plummeted to the ground, totally emasculated of their ability to sting - haha ha haha ha. I'm NOT a fan of stinging insects.

John Arns said...

I really should add that the MANY, MANY times that I've been stung by wasps, the incidents were totally UNPROVOKED by me ! "Many" is defined here as more than I can count on my fingers and toes and the fingers and toes of SEVERAL other persons. Painting their nest ? Eh, I'll give them THAT one. They had a right to be angry THAT time. Most of the time, though, those hateful, vengeful waspers usually just wanted to show their meanness.