Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Goin' to the Brickyard


Thanks to our good friends Fred and Rhonda Maess, Vicki and I are going to the Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in a few weeks. Woohoo! This will be our second NASCAR race- we went to Charlotte last year to see the fall race at Lowe's Motor Speedway. It was a great time, in spite of my bad back at the time, and my boy Jeff Gordon won the race. Perhaps lightning will strike twice: he's won the Brickyard 400 four times.

This race has some special meaning to me because it was the initial Brickyard 400 that turned me into a Jeff Gordon fan in the first place. I was a pretty casual NASCAR follower until then, but I watched that race because it was a big deal for stock cars to be racing at the hollowed home of the Indy 500. Everyone wanted to win that race, especially all the good ole' boys of NASCAR of the time like Dale Earnhardt Sr., Bill Elliot, Darrell Waltrip and Rusty Wallace. Instead, this 24 year old kid (a ridiculously young age to break into NASCAR at the time, much less start winning) who could speak English without a drawl won. I was hooked. And it ends up I picked a pretty good driver to follow as well.

No comments: