Saturday, February 2, 2008

Surgery

I'm scheduled for surgery on my back on Monday at 11:00am. They are going to go in and clean out the ruptured disc material and hopefully be able to re-create a nice passageway for the nerve that's being pinched. It seems like a big deal to me, but it's actually outpatient surgery. That still blows me away. If all goes well, I'll be home by dinner time.

After the surgery, I'll more than likely be off an additional four weeks. For the first two weeks I won't be allowed to do much at all. After that I'll start doing physical therapy and will be able to drive again. At the end of four weeks I should be able to return to work doing a half-schedule for a couple of weeks and then be able to return full time. So if the timetable holds true, I'll be back to work full time the week of Easter. How's that for timing?!?

I've been able to do some work from home over the past couple of weeks, so I've been able to conserve at least some of my extended illness benefits. My VLI classes resumed two weeks ago and since all I have to do during class is sit and listen to a lecture I've been able to go in for those. I'll miss class this coming Thursday for sure and possibly the next week as well.

More than anything else, though, I'm just really looking forward to getting on the recovery side of this thing. I have been more than covered in prayer, so I'm not really nervous about the surgery. I'm sure it's going to go well as will my recovery. I'm just very ready to be able to walk again for more than a few feet at a time or stand again for more than a couple of minutes at a time.

If you are reading this and you are one of those who have been praying for me, thank you so much!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your prayers and I'm very much at peace going into this thanks to you.

3 comments:

bshawise said...

i CANNOT wait for you to come back to work. it's not nearly as fun and functional without you.

lots and lots and lots of people praying for you.

Dean said...

Still praying for ya man! When you get back we can compare scars! I got a pretty nasty one from my back surgery! Woo Hoo!

amy said...

Been praying for you lots yesterday and today!